Sunday, February 22, 2009

One Sick Little Girl







It all began last Sunday. Normal day, we had gone to church, kids played, kids took a nap, and back to church. After church we went to my dad's house. Halle and Sydney played with Bev's grandson, Tucker. All seemed fine but my dad commented that he thought Sydney was going to be sick. He said that she looked pale, and she was quiter than normal. Boy, did my dad's prediction come true!!
When we got home the girls and I made a pallet in the toy room and decided to watch one of their new movies that they had gotten for Valentine's Day. There was no school the next day and I was off because the office was closed for the day as well. While we were watching the movie the girls wanted some milk. It wasn't 30 minutes after drinking her milk that Syd got sick for what turned out to be the first of many times she would vomit.
Sydney and I were up every 30 minutes that night for her to vomit. And bless her heart she made it every time to the bathroom!! The next day I kept thinking that the vomiting would stop. She was vomiting about every hour on Monday. Monday night when she ate or drank anything she would vomit.
On Tuesday she seemed some better so I decided to leave her with Debbie and go on to work. I called regularly and Debbie said that she was sleeping alot. She vomited a few times that day as well. Plus she began having some diarrhea.
I kept thinking that this was just a regular virus and that she would get better, but it was becoming clear that it wasn't the regular stomach virus. So Tuesday night I decided to call the doctor. I was put through to the answering service who said to make sure she using the potty and that she could bend her neck forward. I had been monitoring her urine output because I knew dehydration was a big factor of the virus that had gone on for days now. She was still using the potty so I still wasn't too concerned at this point.
That night I also decided to use some phen syringes that I had gotten from a friend so she could rest. I had used some on Sunday night but it clearly wasn't working so I had stopped. Some doctors have told me that it's best not to use them and to just let them get the virus out of their system. At this point I was desperate and used them.
She did sleep all through the night and the next morning seemed better. She woke up Wednesday and wanted something to drink. I gave her something and immediately up it came. She vomited 3 times before we could turn around that morning. The last time she could not even raise her head up off the couch to vomit in the trash can. Her nails looked purple as well. At this point we decided she needed to go the doctor.
Our appointment was at 9:30 and by 11 we were in the hospital. Dr. Greene took one look at her and said that she needed some fluids. I, of course, was by myself but by the time we left the doctor's office my brother was there.
Sydney's nurse for the next two days was one of my friends from high school, Jil Stuard. Sydney however does not consider her a friend. Getting an iv in a little one who is dehydrated is no easy task. It took two tries and lots of screaming and crying to get it in. Sydney went from saying get me out of here to I want my daddy to hold me momma to I want to sleep in the car and finally to go now (talking to the nurse) while they were putting in the iv. The nurses placed her arm on a board and taped it good so it would not come out. However we did a few issues with the iv which resulted in it having to be untaped and retaped and finally placing two boards to stabilize it. All of which Sydney hated. Halle was there when they were having to do this so her and Brandon went outside the room. While out there she told him that she wished she was the one that was sick. He asked her why and she said because of that, the screaming. I thought how precious that was and how that truely shows sisterly love even at such a young age, that Halle would be willing to go through the pain just so her sister wouldn't have to. Thank God we did not have to redo the iv.
After running some tests it was determined that Sydney had rotavirus. I have never seen her so sick!! She slept so much in the hospital, and did not want me out of her sight. She had lots of visitors and received several get well balloons. She continued to vomit a few times on Thursday and have diarrhea which resulted in us staying Thursday night in the hospital.
Friday she was better so we got to go home. She tried to talk the nurses into letting her leave with the iv. Since they had to take the tape off once already she knew that this was not going to be a good thing. Once again she cried and screamed and said that she just wanted to go home. They placed a band aid on her arm once they were finished. We had to replace it before we left because her little arm bleed so much. She still has it on her arm because she thinks if we take it off that her arm will bleed again. No amount of explaining has gotten her to take it off yet.
When we got home she took a much needed bath. She played for about an hour in the bath. After her bath she took about a 3 hour nap. Then she went to sleep about 8 and slept all night.
Yesterday she felt much better and played more like herself. She is still holding her right arm that had the iv in it like it's broken. She is doing most things with her left hand like coloring. We will see how long this lasts. She may turn in to being left handed all due to the iv!!
We missed church this morning just because she is still having some diarrhea. The doctor said that this could lasts for several days. We are avoiding all dairy products for about a week. She has to return to see Dr. Greene March 6th which works for me becauses that's when the twins will be due for their RSV shots....never a dull moment!!
I'm so thankful that she is better even if it took staying in the hospital for two nights to get her that way. But I swear I had just payed off our hospital bills from the twins stay last week!! I hope to not see another hospital for a long time!!!
In case you are wondering why no pictures from the hospital, my battery was dead so I couldn't get any.

3 comments:

Casey said...

Poor little Syd! I'm glad she is doing better now.

Courtney said...

I am so glad she is doing better and how precious are those twins!!! I hope to get to see them soon. Halle is beautiful also and so grown up!

Lori Harper said...

So thankful she is better. Reagon was in the hospital when she was a baby due to the rotovirus...that is one tough virus! Glad she is home!